Thursday, December 25, 2014

Single Parent Struggles

    All the single parents out there, my heart goes out to you today.  This is a day when we celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Savior of us all.  And yet it is one of the toughest days when sharing parenting.  And then throw in  if you are not healthy. 

    I love time with my children and do value that they need time with their dad, too.  In the two years so far of this new journey in life, I have settled into how we spend our day.  Then I woke up with the worst cold I have had in a long time.  The only plus is that it isn't the awful flu many have had and it wasn't one of the boys.

    The tough part of it is what makes my heart remember all those other single parents out there.  On the news last night they talked about not cooking a meal if you are sick.  Not a luxury you have when it is just you.  How do you tell your children who have been looking forward to a big holiday meal that it won't happen.  They live with enough disappointment, they don't need that, too.

    So, you rest and sit around as much of the day as you can, you wash your hands-ALOT-, and pray they won't get it, and make a meal.  It is just the three of us so not spreading to anyone not already in contact with this guck. 

    And, the best part, is when you serve it, they LOVE it!  Yes, my picky meat eater loved the meat!  My picky sides eater loved the sides!  And there is enough left over to make meals for the next few days of break. 

    In the end, it was all worth it, and I feel lifted more than if I had disappointed them.  And, we still remember our Savior is really what it is all about.  We pray and thank Him for all we have.  He knows our single parent struggle and loves us through each day with His strength.  Hang in there and lean on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment